If youre wondering Do Monitors Have Speakers – you’re at the right place.
Monitors are an important part of a computer system.
Not only could you see visuals but can also listen to audio.
Now a question arises if the monitors have speakers. Well, yes! Usually, most of the monitors nowadays have built-in speakers. However, some might not have built-in speakers. In that case, you might need an external source for audio.
Although most monitors come with in-built speakers, they are incapable of producing high-quality sound as compared to speakers or some other additional source.
This blog will help you clear all your doubts regarding in-built speakers in your monitor. Apart from this, You may also check out our recommended buying guides on the best monitor for trading and monitor for Nintendo switch.
What Are Built-in Speakers In Monitors?
A monitor requires a sound system to play audio files. This can be done through internal speakers or external sources.
The internal speakers incorporated in monitors are known as built-in speakers. Usually, they are of average quality and you might require better sources for producing your desired sound output. Generally, the monitors that have built-in speakers fall on the expensive side. In some monitors, built-in speakers are absent.
These built-in speakers do usually well at homes or small spaces or when there is no large audience. However, in some cases, when you have a larger audience or the area is large, you would require an external source of sound instead of built-in speakers.
Do All Monitors Have Built-in Speakers?
No, not all monitors have speakers. Some monitors have in-built speakers while they are generally absent in low range monitors.
How To Check If Monitor Has In-Built Speakers?
There are three ways to check whether your monitor has a built-in speaker or not. They are listed below.
- You can check for a built-in speaker through the manual provided.
- You can also check it out directly by checking if your monitor has a speaker grill at the back or not.
- You can also check for built-in speakers in monitors by connecting your laptop to the monitor. You can now check if the laptop/PC detects any speaker by playing an audio file.
Usually, every monitor has two built-in speakers on each side.
How To Use Monitors Built-In Speakers?
Monitors are incapable of reproducing sounds by themselves. A device known as a sound card is used for producing sound. Apart from the speakers, ports are also necessary to get audio output.
These ports include DisplayPort, HDMI, and Audio Line-in. The details regarding each of the mentioned ports are provided below.
To play audio using DisplayPort, you would require three things including a laptop/PC, an adaptor, and an audio sync device. Follow the steps given below to play audio using DisplayPort.
- Connect one end of the cable to the monitor while the other end to the PC or laptop.
- Go to Control Panel. Select Sounds.
- Now select Display Audio.
- Now click on Okay.
You are all set to enjoy the audio.
2. HDMI Port
You can easily connect your audio source i.e., PC or laptop with the monitor using an HDMI cable. Ensure that you always use a high-quality HDMI cable for making the connection. Follow the next few steps to play the audio.
- After properly connecting, click on the volume option.
- Now click on Sound properties.
- Now choose the appropriate audio source. Make it your default setting. And select Okay.
3. Audio In-Line
Follow the instructions given below to play audio using Audio Line-in.
- Connect the monitor to the PC/laptop using a cable.
- Now, select the appropriate device in the Audio Settings.
Pros and Cons Of Having Monitor With Built-In Speakers
There are several advantages of having monitors that incorporate built-in speakers with them. Some of the advantages which can guide you to buy monitors with built-in speakers have been listed below.
- It reduces additional expenses of buying any external sources of sound, for instance, external speakers.
- The built-in speakers save space otherwise that would have been used by external speakers.
- Built-in speakers reduce time and effort for setting up external sources of sound. It gives you a hassle-free experience.
Apart from the advantages, there are several disadvantages of having monitors that incorporate built-in speakers with them. Some of the advantages have been listed below.
- Generally, the built-in speakers used in monitors are of average quality and they do not provide a good sound output. Hence you might require to spend on buying external speakers for your monitor.
- Monitors that have built-in speakers have more bezel width, giving it a bulky look.
- If you looking for bass-boosted sound quality, built-in speakers are definitely not worth it. You would require an external soundbar for it.
- The stereo sound effect is absent in built-in speakers.
- Built-in speakers are a compact solution for providing standard audio quality.
How To Use Monitors Built-in Speakers
If there are no built-in speakers on your monitor, you can still play audio files. Just connect the monitor to an external speaker using an audio jack.
You can also connect it via a 3.5 mm cable. Now, you can enjoy your favorite music.
Do Monitors Have SoundCard?
Nowadays, the latest released monitors incorporate built-in speakers in them. However, it is not necessary that they also have a sound card.
Sound cards offer high-quality sound output. You can find sound cards in home theatre sound systems or dedicated speakers.
It must be noted that producing sound on a monitor does not require a sound card. Sound cards are generally used to provide high-quality audio. Sound cards convert digital sound into analog signals, thereby, producing a great sound.
Do Monitors Have Speakers – Conclusion
Monitors usually do have built-in speakers. However, the sound output is not of such high quality. These speakers are fine for general sound. However, for better sound quality an external speaker is a must.
We hope that you find this guide helpful in clearing all your doubts and confusion about whether monitors have speakers or not.